Monday 26 January 2015

So pleased :0)

Well reading wise I think I had a pretty fantastic week for me. I managed to read TWO books this week. I cannot believe it and I'm so happy/proud of myself for being able to do this. As I've mentioned before I'm a pretty slow reader so to do this I was really pleased. 

So book number one for the week I started reading last Sunday
I had finished reading this in about two and half/three days. I just flew through it. Michelle's writing style was just brilliant, it had me flying through the pages. I kept on wanting to read about Mara and how things were going to progress for her and whether she was going to be able to cope and get through. She did start to annoy me a little bit towards the end but at the same time I suppose her actions were justified. Noah's character started to develop a lot more towards the end and we started to understand why he had be drawn to Mara in the first place and I would have liked for him to become a bit more rounded. I'm hoping he features in the second book some more and we can learn even further. The ending I didn't see coming at all, even though now when looking back there were hints towards it but still didn't expect it was just brilliant and the second book will be getting put into my tbr jar. I gave this 4 out of 5 stars.

Now onto book two for the week, as I finished reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer while I was at work I asked my husband to pull my next read out of my tbr jar so I could see what it was and see whether I needed to download it on kindle or if I have a copy at home etc. So he pulled out for me 
I didn't know much about this book going into it other than what other people had commented about it really, so therefore I knew it was about quite an emotional topic, that it had evoked lots of emotions and thoughts in people. I actually bought this book on kindle on Christmas Day afternoon when Amazon had put up lots of offers so I got this for 99p.
I wasn't 100% sure how I was going to feel about this book going in but I was pleasantly surprised.
The story is told from 19 year old Matthew's point of view and he suffers with mental illness. I found this quite difficult to read in the beginning because it kept on jumping from one part to another but then that was the whole idea with it being from Matthew and a lot of it is written in a stream of consciousness which was a really interesting idea. You cannot help but feel for both the main protagonist and his family around him. It is obviously a struggle for everyone involved. It is a touching story of someone's daily battle with such an unfortunate illness and helps put a lot of things into perspective. It was a good read and worth exploring, 3.5 out of 5 stars. In a way I want to recommend to people who have read The Curious Incident if the Dog in the Nighttime and enjoyed this.

Late yesterday morning I pulled out my next read from my tbr jar (which I was a little disappointed to pull out as I was hoping for another read. Might just have to cheat next time and search it out and read it next heehee) I pulled out this one
I finished wither not long before Christmas and I really enjoyed it so I was quick to ask for Fever and the final installment Sever for Christmas. I had really enjoyed wither and so was pleased to get these. 
I'm only about 30 odd pages in and I'm not quite sure about it at the moment, I thought there would be a bit more before suddenly getting into turmoil but I guess we'll see as it goes on. I'm just aiming to finish this one book this week but I'll see how I get on as I know we are out for a period of time this evening, and I'm possibly out on Thursday as well so could eat into a bit of reading time. But the goal is to have this finished on or by Sunday.

Other bit I have to say about this week too is that I've started to make a baby quilt for a work colleague who goes on maternity leave at the end of February so only a few more weeks to go. I'm hoping to have it finished before she goes on leave so I can give it her. On Sunday my mum and dad came over for a little bit as my mum is going to help me do it, so I chose a block pattern for the centre of the quilt and then I'll put a couple of boards round it before binding it. We didn't get as far along as we thought we would yesterday but we got the fabric cut out for the centre block and I'm hoping to sewing them together this week and then I can cut some fabric for the boarders on the weekend before joining the backs and the front with the wadding in between. I will update with progress but here's a first look at the fabric cut and waiting to be sewn for the centre block 
That's all for this week, hope you've enjoyed reading and I haven't waffled too much.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment